*** WELCOME! ***

This is a blog about my life, my family, and photos that I take. It's a place where I can quickly record what's going on in my life and post pictures of the memories we make. You are welcome to read, view, and leave comments. :)

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Flowering Quince Jam

Today I made Flowering Quince (Chaenomeles) Jam.  I discovered that we had flowering quince on our new property a while ago and saw that some of the bushes had fruit on them.  The first time I picked one of the fruits, I cut it in half, which was very hard to do because they are so hard.  I wasn't sure what it was at that point.  I tasted a little of it, but didn't like it.  It was really bitter.  Then I did some googling and found out that it was the fruit of a flowering quince bush.  It's not exactly like a regular quince I guess, but I did find a recipe for using it to make jam. 

http://straightfromthefarm.net/2009/12/05/quince-jam/

It's so pretty and tastes good too.  It has a bright citrusy flavor and is almost like a marmalade. 

Here is a picture of all the fruit I picked.  They are small, about the size of a golf ball and I had to core them.  Even though I didn't have that many, I did have enough to make half a batch of the jam.


Here is a picture of the minced quince, (ooh, that's fun to say, Minced Quince) simmering to soften the fruit.


Mmm, it's getting prettier.  Now there is sugar mixed in with the minced quince.  :)  It's boiling and thickening.


I had to get a closeup of the pretty minced quince glistening.  :)   Aaah, there's just nothing like pretty glistening minced quince.  :)


Here's the jam in pretty jars.  Pretty Glistening Minced Quince Jam.  (I do so like it Sam I Am)



I know you must be tired of listening
      to me go on about the glistening
But don't you agree that the minced quince is pretty
      glistening on the knife?  (I know I'm so witty)  :)

No comments: