*** WELCOME! ***

This is a blog about my life, my family, and photos that I take. It's a place where I can quickly record what's going on in my life and post pictures of the memories we make. You are welcome to read, view, and leave comments. :)

Saturday, September 10, 2016

First week of Homeschool...Success!

We completed our first week of Homeschool today! It went really well for the most part.  

Here are my three adorable students. Jesse isn't really old enough for school yet, but I try to involve him if he wants to be involved. He has some books about letters to work on.


"Holla" if you love Homeschool!


We start each day off with Prayer, Bible Reading, and COFFEE!

I was most concerned about Pre-Algebra, but it went way better than I thought it would, at least this week. We are using a curriculum called Math-U-See. It came with plastic blocks to use to teach with. The kids think they make great legos! 


We went over the lesson the first day and then Ben and Emily had math work to do each day. They did so well and both got 100% on the Lesson 1 test today!

I think one of our favorite parts of the Sonlight curriculum is reading from a book each day called "Favorite Poems Old and New" Selected by Helen Ferris.  The poems so far are fun and light. Ben, Emily, and I take turns reading them.    

Other subjects we are doing are World History, Science, Language Arts, and Reading.  Ben and Emily are reading a book called "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" right now. They read 1 to 2 chapters each day.  Emily is enjoying the book more than Ben is, probably because it's about a girl.  I'm sure some of the other books they'll be reading will hold his attention better. All three of us are enjoying a book I read aloud to them each day called "The Golden Goblet". We left off tonight with a cliffhanger and will have to wait until Monday to find out what happens next.

For Writing this week, Ben and Emily each had to write a descriptive paragraph about a favorite place.  Ben wrote about hunting in the woods and Emily wrote about Gramma's house.

In Science this week, we learned about density and atoms. We got to do 3 science experiments already! Ben and Emily are keeping Science journals to put notes on the experiments in.

This coming week we will have our first Education Day with our homeschool group that we joined. The kids and I are looking forward to that.  We will meet with them 2 days a month and on those days the kids each have 3 1-hour classes that they do with other kids. Emily is taking Art, Drama, and a Cooking class.  Ben is taking Biology, Cooking class, and Backyard Ballistics!  That last one sounds like a lot of fun!!! Besides these classes, we will do other things with the group like picnics and field trips.  


These are our attempts at writing the alphabet in Hebrew and Greek. This wasn't something we had to do, but just something fun to try. 
Ben and Emily are enjoying it and so am I! I pray that this year goes well and works for us so that we can continue homeschooling in the future.

Here are some links to the materials we have used this week:




No comments: